© Memorial Hall Museum, Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association
The AA Chest is among a treasured collection of Connecticut River Valley joined oak chests, known as Hadley chests owned by the Memorial Hall Museum. It entered the collection of the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association in 1882. The "AA" Chest had been built almost 200 years before, around 1690, for Abigail Allis who lived in Hadley, Massachusetts. This Hadley chest was the direct inspiration for at least two bride's chests built and exhibited by Dr. Edwin Thorn and Caleb Allen in the early 20th century.