Places

Olde Deerfield Doll House

Matilda Hyde: Old Deerfield Souvenirs

Olde Deerfield Doll House

© Memorial Hall Museum, Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association

Old Deerfield Doll House Sign, designed by Dorothea Hyde, 1917.

Matilda Hyde opened a tearoom and giftshop on the Common called the Olde Deerfield Doll House in 1917. Here tourists could purchase old Deerfield souvenirs, including tea accessories, books and paper dolls themed to the story of the 'Little Captives of 1704.' In 1923 she opened her shop on Memorial Street