Deerfield Arts & Crafts home page


Frary House

Summer home of C. Alice Baker & Emma Coleman

Frary House

© Memorial Hall Museum, Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association

Frary House, by the Allen Sisters, 1890-1900.

In the early 1900s, Frary House was believed to be the oldest house in town, the sole survivor of the 1704 raid. Restored in 1890, it soon became a cultural focal point for the community of Old Deerfield. In addition to serving as the site of costume balls and concerts, photographer and author Emma Coleman held a palm leaf "braiding bee" here in 1899, an event which led to the founding of the Deerfield Basket Makers. The ballroom of the Frary House was used for meetings during the first National League of Handicrafts Societies Convention, held in Deerfield on June 29 and 30, 1908.